View Single Post
Old July 7, 2013   #66
tuk50
Tomatovillian™

Yeah! the fruit in the picture are an average size.. we will know more when the heat breaks and there is a good fruit set... its hard to predict fruit size in my climate at the beginning of the season. There are a lot of tomatoes that won't set a fruit till fall because of the excessive heat, so I usually get my largest fruit early since the climate selectively thins the vines.

The pictures don't do them justice... they all have some striping and another interesting thing is the JxGZ B when juice is squeezed out for seeds is red while the C vine juice is pale green similar to a GZ while the fruit is a bit orange looking. These haven't produced many yet, but they are full of blooms and I hope to get a lot this fall. The climate drastically changes this month. We get what is called monsoons starting in July and the humidity goes from single digits to a humid enviroment and occasional showers as the moisture comes off the Gulf from Texas and New Mexico. This drastic change desimates any vines that are struggling with wilt at this point. So I'm hoping these healthy looking vines will set fruit in a couple of months.

Just another side note.... the JxGZ A and B are over 7ft tall and growing.. you can get an idea of the size by looking at the fence post in the row, it's an 8ft post buried 2ft deep in the soil.. the cages are 5ft tall and they are cascading over the top...

Last edited by tuk50; July 7, 2013 at 10:50 AM.
tuk50 is offline   Reply With Quote