View Single Post
Old July 2, 2013   #42
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Still haven't lost a single grafted plant that was using a rootstock resistant to all three races of fusarium except to TSWV. At this point it really wouldn't matter too much because right now the plants are having so many problems with foliage diseases that replacing them is looking like the only way to slow the diseases down with all the rain we are having. I wish now that I had started more rootstock seeds. I had no idea that grafting would be so difficult this time of the year. My failure rate is just too high because of air borne molds and mildews that are so bad here now.

Next year I will be try to do most of my grafting with hybrids that are resistant to all three races of fusarium. From the success I have had this year I believe I can further reduce the number of plants necessary to get a decent crop. I may do another experiment with single stem plants that are grafted onto the fluke rootstock because of its superior vigor and its far higher grafting success rate than any of the other rootstocks. That way I can increase my production in the spring and then remove the plants after they make the majority of their crop on the first 4 or 5 trusses which will then free up a bed for my fall plants.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote