View Single Post
Old June 28, 2013   #9
DavidP
Tomatovillian™

I'm guessing someone has worked it out to some degree. I read that the majority of tomatoes grown in the US are produced in either California or Florida. For california I bet thats mostly grown in the central valley, have certainly passed truck after truck loaded down with roma type tomatoes (I'm guessing for paste) in the past driving thru there. I think the temp today in Sacramento is north of 100 and probably closer to 110 this weekend. I've also talked with a local farm advisor and they grow tomatoes in the Coachella valley in southern California, could be thats a winter crop but I think the forecast this weekend for the coachella valley is something in the order of 122.

So there must be incentive to grow varieties that set in heat, I know these are more likely the "Valley girl" type determinate that we're unlikely to grow in a home garden but interesting nonetheless.

A hot weekend ahead, forecast for high 120's in Death valley California, I wonder if the world record heat of 134 is in sight.

Last edited by DavidP; June 28, 2013 at 03:51 PM.
DavidP is offline   Reply With Quote