View Single Post
Old June 28, 2013   #68
Master_Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMPOSTER View Post
Master Gardener,

What are you foliar feeding with? Why are you doing to develop the soil food web? What kind of garden are you attempting to improve the soil in? Converted lawn, raised bed, containers? I really enjoy snow peas right off the vine. Waiting for mine to develop right now. Hopefully the gradual improvements I'm making in my soil grow better tasting snow pea too.

Glenn
I have more info and pictures in Red Barron's project thread. I did a soil test and added 1/2 of the amendments with the balance to be added this fall. I do not till so everything goes on top. Last fall I added a 24 inch layer of shredded leaves over decomposing straw mulch, now about 1 inch deep across everything. My earthworms are everywhere and in big numbers. I Foliar feed with Calcium and Kelp. I use AACT and compost. I have a 400 sq. ft. raised bed, 600 sq. ft. of converted hard clay lawn. 400 sq. ft. of the previous was never tilled and is currently planted in inoculated legumes as a compost crop. When the legumes are finished, I'll plant inoculated alfalfa and let it over winter. It's a new bed for this year. I covered the grass with cardboard, 3" compost and 3" wood chips and inoculated with AACT. I also supplement with Comfrey and Nettles and I raise red wigglers mostly for making vc for AACT. I want most of my worms working 24 x 7 where they are needed most.

The new bed is slow to come on-line, but that was expected. I was surprised to see so many worms in the new bed so soon.

I had a problem with slugs. I tried using beer but it didn't work, until I gave it to the slugs.
Master_Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote