View Single Post
Old June 26, 2013   #1
tnkrer
Tomatovillian™

Default Throw out this brandywine? (pic heavy)

So I have had some trouble with the plants in this particular earth-tainer. Between 2-3 weeks after plant out, the plants growth slowed down for a week or so. I speculated the cause to be herbicide drift or heat stress. All the flower trusses on the plants that formed during that time look pitiful and it does not look like they will do anything.
some examples on early girl

This one aborted being a fruit truss and started being a branch!

Both plants recovered and are growing well now. (Though behind my other plants by 6 inches to a foot due to the lost week)

The newer trusses on early girl have nice flowers and they are setting fruit just fine. However the newer trusses on the brandywine (especially the main stem) are still pitiful. Also, there are only three fruit trusses in those 5 feet of the plant.
truss 1

truss 2

truss 3

Other stems started from suckers are doing slightly better.

Compared to that my other brandywine has this nice truss. (And few more like this)

and my first brandywine fruit

So does it look like the first brandywine had some irreparable damage and will not give meaningful produce? I have told the brandywine that it better shape up or else! .. but I don't think it responds well to threats

And what can I plant there this late to get some good yield? (doesn't have to be tomato). I thought of diva cucumbers .. but finding those plants in local nurseries might be difficult.
tnkrer is offline   Reply With Quote