Thread: Rodents
View Single Post
Old June 17, 2013   #11
LDx4
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun City Linda View Post
Yes, Rats love tomatoes. I have battled them before but I am currently enjoying a wonderful reprieve. "Kitty" my 20 LB Tom loves rats!
Nice! Unfortunately, we are on the border of an open preserve that has lots of coyotes -- all kittys around here are strictly indoor cats, or they become coyote snacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Hey Kforbs, this is what I use. http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/cata...ve+animal+trap
I bait the trap with peanut butter, which they can't resist. They like it far better than tomatoes. I have caught 8 rats and a baby O'Possum so far. I can't kill them so don't tell anyone but I drive them about 5 miles away and release them in a large forested acreage area.
I use the double door trap, which is under$20.00. Set to just barely touching so it is easy to trigger.
BTW- they seem to hunt in pairs so I can usually catch 2 in 2 days, then nothing for awhile until the next one comes around.

Marsha
Marsha, you are a rat whisperer! What a great catch record! We tried peanut butter and these Calif rats just turned their noses up at it

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaMarieNJ View Post
I bought two electric fence kits on Amazon last year. It will be a challenge to put it up considering my garden layout, the neighborhood dogs, my four cats, and the people who also come into my yard.... Plus, it won't get the smaller critters like mice and rats. It's the woodchucks, skunks, squirrels, raccoons, and stray cats who spray their scent on my containers, etc., that it will affect. No system is perfect. You just do what you can and try to pretend the inconvenience of the wires in your garden doesn't exist....... <sigh>

On a better note, I heard that once a critter gets zapped they "learn" and do not come back. So, hopefully that will happen to me and I can take the nasty, in-the-way electric fence down asap!
DonnaMarie, please keep us posted on your experience with the electric fence and what it kept out (or didn't keep out). I keep threatening to buy some on Amazon, but my husband is resisting so far
LDx4 is offline   Reply With Quote