View Single Post
Old June 17, 2013   #21
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I'm eating them as fast and as often as I can in a vain attempt to eat all the ripe ones before we have to start a sauce pot. I'm also trying to enjoy them as much as I can since the diseases are really getting bad now. Gray Mold this year has been more aggressive than I have ever seen it. I actually had two bell peppers lose most of their leaves to it this week. I didn't even know it got on bell peppers or any pepper for that matter. I'm now removing leaves at the rate of a garden cart every two days and the plants don't look anything like they did two weeks ago. Some of my plants now have no leaves except a few at the very top so the chance of sun scald is very high for all those tomatoes hanging in the open in this heat.

Tried Virginia Sweet last night and it really is a sweet good tasting juicy tomato. So far this season the Giant Belgium was the tastiest which was a real surprise. I was expecting a super sweet tomato but it was a really well balanced full flavored tomato. I'm really excited about getting to try some of the ones that I have tried unsuccessfully to grow in the past which look like they are going to make for me this season.

Bill
Bill, you can freeze the tomatoes whole if you want and bring them out when you would like to have some sauce. I cook the whole tomato and use a hand held blender to break up the skins. I wish I had so many tomatoes they were coming out my ears. My tomatoes are slow coming and I haven't had enough to make sauce but once.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote