View Single Post
Old June 4, 2013   #6
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

nothing ever bothered my garlic until 2 years ago and then anthracnose started to attack the scapes. can't post a picture i have it is too large.

the 1st year the bulbs were ok but last year i had smaller than normal bulbs but i don't know if the anthracnose is responsible. this is new in this area, nice huh like we need more new crap what with marmomated stink bugs and late blight thanks to Bonney plants shipping infected tomatoes up here from down south. /rant over.

i recommend rocambole types, tom mentioned procelains as his 2 favorites. the former store less time but taste far better. german red is absolutely my favorite. i like music and german white too along with some others. if you grew those 3 you'd want to grow more than 46!

and yes if you plan on buying from any company you MUST be ready to place an order in june or expect to not get what you want. garlic sells out fast. the good thing is you can plant your own from your bulbs after buying it the 1st time. if you buy at farmers markets look for large bulbs with large clove but luck all i ever see is small bulbs with tiny cloves. i just replant from my stock tho i did go to saugerities with tom last september for new stock.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote