View Single Post
Old June 2, 2013   #15
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Default June 1 update

Hi,

I've been busy taking photos (trying to keep up with Raybo and others <g>) and am attaching a bunch of updated photos. They're pretty much all labeled, but I'll add a few comments.

I've got some of the usual tomato photos (including my line-up of hybrids), plus photos of other plants and projects. Have tried a bunch of different varieties so far, but only the Dona and Odoriko as far as the hybrids go. Both were very good, but expect them to get better as the season progresses. Wes, Vorlon, KBX, Amazon Chocolate, Indian Stripe, and Brandywine OTV have all been wonderful, but the one big unexpected surprise was Santa Clara Canner. I've never grown it before and the taste really knocked my socks off. It's my current favorite but I'm sure things will change as the season progresses.

I've got a couple of photos of DIY projects. As I have some medical problems, I use either a wheelchair or walker and really don't "do ladders." Our step stool steps are just a bit too tall for me, so I made an intermediate step and used it with a $10 rubbermaid step stool from the grocery store so that I've basically got a step stool with 3 - 7-1/2" steps that I can manage rather than 2 - 11-1/2" steps. It's about time to get to the top of my trellises and start training some of the vines over the top!

I also repurposed some 1/2" pvc hoops and misc. pieces lying around to make a mini-green house type thing over two of my currently unused "salad tables" on the patio. I plan to partially cover it with shade cloth and grow some herbs and greens, etc. When it cools off, I'll switch to heavy clear plastic sheeting and put on some doors.

Most of the photos are self-explanatory but the one called "Some grafts - Vorlon, etc." shows - from left to right - Vorlon on Katana, Vorlon, Amazon Chocolate on Momotaro, Amazon Chocolate, Indian Stripe on Momotaro, Indian Stripe on Prue, Indian Stripe, Black Krim, (not) Noir de Crimee PL, and (n0t) Noir de Crimee RL.

Enjoy!

Anne
Attached Images
File Type: jpg view west with chard, shallots, tomatoes, cukes 6-1-13.jpg (612.2 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg tasty green cukes with tarragon to left 6-1-13.jpg (678.2 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg bed with shallots, basil, 3 peppers, and cukes in background 6-1-13.jpg (578.4 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg Some grafted plants June 1 - Vorlon, etc.jpg (690.3 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg modified step stool 6-1-13.jpg (409.6 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg kabocha squash 6-1-13.jpg (577.5 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg rear beds with garlic, shallots, potatoes, beans, and peppers - tomatoes in backgroun 6=1=13.jpg (649.4 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg various eggplants with zucchinetta trombocinol rampacante on trellis 6-1-13.jpg (611.3 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg hybrids - Dona, Grandeur, Katano, Momotaro, Odoriko (goose creedk, brandy otv) 6-1-13.jpg (601.7 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg bed by fence, front row - santa clara canner, scc on momotaro, back row -purple dog creek RL, PD.jpg (621.8 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg mexico on momotaro at 6' - 6-1-13.jpg (454.5 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg corn close up with tassel beginning to form 6-1-13.jpg (484.8 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg corn, beans, canteloupes 6-1-13.jpg (673.2 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg mini-greenhouse framework 6-1-13.jpg (661.1 KB, 49 views)
aclum is offline   Reply With Quote