View Single Post
Old May 18, 2013   #1
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Default I love the new dwarfs!

I just wanted to thank all those who have been instrumental in developing the dwarf varieties. I'm growing 6 different varieties and they are amazing! Easy to manage, tons of fruit and the fruit is wonderful, although so far I've only tasted Sleeping Lady.
I will be planting mostly dwarfs from now on except a few cherry varieties.
If you come up with something similar to Matt's Wild Cherry, black cherry and green doctors, I may only grow dwarfs.
In my climate the portability of 5 gallon containers is so helpful. I can bring them in if its too cold or too hot, greatly extending my season.
This will be a huge help in the fall. I can plant in pots and wait until its comfortably cool to put them out rather than trying to get seedlings through the 110 degree days in mid-August. I can also move them in if frost threatens early.
I was able to put three Sleeping Lady plants in pots and planted them last October. I brought them in when we had a week of hard freezes this January and now I've enjoyed a bunch of fruit earlier than ever before.
When I first heard of dwarf varieties they didn't make much sense to me, as I had in my mind the tiny varieties used for little pots. Once I learned more about them, they seemed perfect for our climate, since we basically have two very short seasons unless you can move pots indoors. I still had no idea how productive they would actually be.

Last edited by Tracydr; May 18, 2013 at 02:26 PM.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote