View Single Post
Old May 17, 2013   #43
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wagner View Post
Yeah, high yields per vine of potatoes are indeed possible. Just last week I had one of my cooperators help me dig row of potatoes. The single hill of IRON MAN 3 yielded 17 lbs. of potatoes with many tubers weighing over two pounds each. This variety is a red skin, pale pink flesh potato that is a bit knobby but another cooperator planted a whole row from it the other day. It appears to be out of my CASANOVA RED breeding material.

IRON MAN 3 is my nickname for this new clone. It has a huge canopy with many stems which accounts for the high yield. The stolons were not long but the tubers set fairly deep escaping all frost damage from the full year in the ground. It was also a full year in the ground the year before. You can bet I will make some attempts at crossing this year...as it must me male sterile...no berries. I have some BLACK IRISH sibs that also have high yields in the same plot near Duvall, WA. A cross of this sort could lead to all sorts of yield records.
Just last week I had one of my cooperators help me dig row of potatoes. The single hill of IRON MAN 3 yielded 17 lbs. of potatoes with many tubers weighing over two pounds each.

And you didn't take photographs. This is almost as astonishing as seeing a dozen little green men stepping out of a Space ship.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote