View Single Post
Old April 25, 2013   #14
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Magruder View Post
Basically, what I'm asking is: Is amending the soil of the garden plot enough to grow tomatoes the entire season? If not, how do I maintain the plants' growth organically during the season?
As organic material decomposes it releases additional nutrients. So yes it can be enough. That's why I suggested the mulch and the grass clippings. Green grass has good levels of nitrogen and other nutrients. If you start running low and your plants look like they need a boost. Just add more grass clippings.

"Brown" mulches like leaves generally decompose slower and pull nitrogen out, but temporarily. So use them for cover in the winter. Then next spring do the same thing. Higher nitrogen amendments (compost, manure, The PlantTone you decided on etc) in the spring for a blaze of growth. And maybe a small amount through the year in grass clippings. Brown mulches like leaves in the fall.

Follow that general rule of thumb every year, making small adjustments according to your soil tests, and eventually you'll have the best of the best "Victory Garden" around!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote