View Single Post
Old February 19, 2006   #4
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

You can get all the soilless mix you want, bagged up, at Wal Mart, Lowe's, Ace, Home Depot, or any place that deals in gardening. You will be amazed at how many bags it will take to fill a bed, then after a year it will naturally compress a little, but that's okay since you can till it up loose again, even though you might have to add some more. Many disagree with me, but I like to have a little natural dirt in my beds. That's what plants grew in for eons, and Mother Nature just has some good stuff in there. I don't use much, but a little. I like green sand, too, but only add a little to the potting whole when I plant. It seems to have some strange power of its own, as well.

Most any bagged mix you can find will work okay. I'm lucky to have a guy here in the junk business who gets in all sorts of stuff. I can get most any type of bagged mix for a dollar a bag. I also have a cotton gin nearby and they have a lot of what they call gin trash, and people here love to grow tomatoes in it. He will bring me a dump truck load for free. Heaven only knows how many yards that is. I can get an 18 wheeler load for $100. I'm lucky to have some pretty good stuff here, very cheap.

Don