View Single Post
Old April 12, 2013   #15
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

It sounds like your mix isn't really wicking properly at all. If you pour 8 ounces into the mix and nothing goes to the reservoir but you add 8 ounces to the reservoir and half of it comes out the overflow then I would say you are not getting a good wicking with the coir. This is what I have heard about using coir, that it doesn't wick as well as peat, and that it can become quite boggy and it does it quickly too.

The wicking hole size in my 5 gallons I don't remember because I bullt them 3 years ago now and when I used the sobe bottle I put it on the bucket and drew a circle around it, I cut the circle out on the inside of the writing. I set the bottle into the hole and set the upper container into the lower one. I did this until I got the upper bucket to sit flat on the support of the lower bucket. This made the Sobe bottle fit really well and I also used some zip ties to hold it in. This might be about 3" in diameter and one of the most important things is that the wick sits as close to the bottom as possible so that there is always water wicking up. Once the wicking action stops it is hard to get it started again, maybe you are right about not packing that mix after the wicking container.

The earthtainers will allow for you to grow more than a 5 gallon bucket would but you would also have more foilage growing so give yourself space for that. If you can go that route I would and I would also use Raybo's mix as well.

Watering from the top might be what you have to do unless you replant and I wouldn't want to interupt the roots that have probably established since you planted out. You will definitely need some dolomite lime in there so it is good you have the nutrients to add.

If your plants are not that big I would say start the mix over and use a peat based or at least add 50% peat and more perlite if it is needed. Mix until the mix feels light and fluffy. Add 2 cups of dolomite lime to the mix for each 5 gallon bucket after you have put most of the mix into the bucket. If you go this route of fixing your mix it will mean you have extra mix left over to use at a later time if you let it dry out.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote