View Single Post
Old March 31, 2013   #35
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelady View Post
I noticed your comment about the weeds, and we got a new one last year I've never seen before. little rosettes that grow low to the ground , with white flower spikes and when flowering it turns a purplish cast to the green leaves. Very odd, and prolific!! I spent weeks pulling those suckers out of everything. And they are back again as I was weeding them again yesterday. ugh.
Sounds like bitter cress. very weedy, but only spreads via seed. Not by runners or rhizomes. But as soon as they go to seed they spew their seeds if you touch the plant once the seeds are mature. I have it in the greenhouse and a hightunnel and it drives me crazy, but I just keep pulling it. You might want to try a preemergent in the area where they are.

What fungicides do I use, Elliot?

We use daconil, copper and mancozeb. we alternate every time we spray with a different one. We try not to spray any of them consecutively. Although copper is organic we use it very sparingly. It is a heavy metal and you can get poisoning from it and if you over use it you can poison your soil with it, too. I know of others who use baking soda, diluted milk, neem, etc. I haven't used any of those.
We spray if it rains, for sure or if we see any sign of a fungus starting. We don't want to spray everything for no reason at all, but we don't want to let something get started, either.