View Single Post
Old March 29, 2013   #1
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Default Help converting patio to Greenhouse/Sunroom

If an existing thread can answer my questions, please point me to it. If not,.... Help.

I have a south-facing 13' x 33' patio that is under a covered deck with 9 1/2' clearance from patio to the deck. I am planning on enclosing the patio and using it for a greenhouse to extend the season and possibly use year-round. I am on a corner lot, so it is visible from the road. Therefore, I can't make it just functional, it has to look nice.

I know I will end up spending quite a bit, so I want to make sure I do it right. My questions:
  • There are a whole lot of companies that make sunrooms, enclosures and kits to build sunrooms. Is there a difference in the glass I want for greenhouse from the glass they make the sunroom kits out of?
  • I have natural gas piped to the patio, so heating will not be a problem if I decide to use it in the winter. To use it year-round will I need to supplement lighting or just maintain temperature? (I am in northern Utah - 5280' elevation - 41 degrees latitude)
  • Does the glass that keeps the sunroom cooler in the summer cause any issues when trying to grow plants (this is perhaps the same as the first question)
  • Trade-offs between the cost of better insulated glass panels and heating costs in the winter. (I can probably do the analysis, but experience is valuable, so are recommendation).
  • What are the main "Gotchas" I need to watch out for?

I'm sure there will be other concerns, but I need to know the above to start planning and budgeting.

Thanks in advance for any advice. Tville is quite a place. I've spent quite a few pleasant evenings recently wandering about the place. Wish I had found it years ago.

Dan
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote