Thread: Paw Paw
View Single Post
Old March 22, 2013   #45
John3
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durgan View Post
Wow. Many thanks. So far my trees haven't produced any flowers. I am hoping this year is my lucky year. I suspect that my area is pushing it a bit, and probably on the upper limit of growth for the plant. I only know one other grower and he has never had fruit. Anyway I will obtain the hand pollination paraphernalia in anticipation.
Are you within these guidelines?

"
Climate
The pawpawis a tree of temperate humid growing zones, requiring warm to hot summers, mild to cold winters, and a minimum of 32 inches (81 cm) of rainfall spread rather evenly throughout the year, with the majority falling in spring and summer. It can be grown successfully in USDA plant hardiness zones 5 (-15o F/-26o C) through 8 (15o F/-9o C). Pawpaws grow wild over a wide range of latitude, from the Gulf Coastal plain to southern Michigan. However, the trees may not receive adequate chilling hours if planted too close to the Gulf Coast. Most named cultivars originated in the Midwest, which is the northern portion of the pawpaw's range. A national regional variety trial is underway to determine which varieties perform best in different parts of the country, and results should become available in the next several years. In the meantime, for best results, choose cultivars that were selected in a climatic zone and latitude similar to the area where they will be planted.
Site, soils, and habitat
Although the pawpaw is capable of fruiting in the shade, optimum yields are obtained in open exposure, with some protection from wind (on account of the large leaves). Germinating seedlings, however, will not survive under those conditions because they are extremely sensitive to full sunlight, which can kill them. (Containerized seedlings may be grown without shade in a greenhouse.) Shading for the first year, and sometimes the second, is normally required outside, and it is for this reason that pawpaws are almost always found in nature as an understory tree. The soil should be slightly acid (pH 5.5-7), deep, fertile, and well-drained. Good drainage is essential to success. Pawpaws will not thrive in heavy soil or waterlogged soil. In habit it is a small tree, seldom taller than 25 feet. Grown in full sun, the pawpaw tree develops a narrowly pyramidal shape with dense, drooping foliage down to the ground level. In the shade it has a more open branching habit with few lower limbs and horizontally held leaves."

from
http://www.pawpaw.kysu.edu/pawpaw/ppg.htm

From my experience no fruit and flowers on most plants to much nitrogen - not saying this is your problem but your plants look really good.

Last edited by John3; March 22, 2013 at 06:19 PM.
John3 is offline   Reply With Quote