View Single Post
Old March 13, 2013   #22
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
This far south it is very hard to find onions that do well. I have grown most of the onions mentioned above by other posters but very few delivered much in the way of bulbs. Any of the Vidalia types do well here but they are terrible storage onions and only keep a few weeks. The one onion that is dependable, a decent fresh eating onion and also a decent storage onion is white Bermuda. I think I have about 8 or 9 varieties in my garden now yet I only have hopes of getting any onions big enough to store from the Bermudas. I am constantly wasting space in my garden with red onions hoping to find one that will make consistently down here. I have found a few smaller yellow onions that do okay but they are only good for cooking as the flavor is a bit too strong. I might get the occasional nice onion from the others but it is so infrequent that the bulk of my onions planted will be Bermudas from now on.
Red:
Why don't you try some of these Red Creole short day onions from Dixondale Farms:
http://www.dixondalefarms.com/produc...ort_day_onions

Is it too late for transplants there?

I've never grown them, just noticed it in the catalog as a short day storage onion, catalog says 6-7 months.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote