Thread: Fish Peppers
View Single Post
Old November 7, 2006   #40
Trudi
Tomatovillian™

I just harvested mine about a week ago, I've got a good couple dozen, bright fire-engine red peppers--thumb size and I'm not five feet high, so that's a tiny thumb. When they turn red the peppers lose those stripes. The peppers currently drying on a plate on the bookshelf in my office. When they're bone dry I'll split them open and remove the seeds then grind up the dried skins for cooking.

I wasn't very impressed with the amount of variegation on the leaves--it was okay, but nothing to write home about. The peppers were pretty enough as they developed, but again, they just dint "send me". They taste real good, maybe a bit more intense than jalapenos, you don't need much to heat up an omelet.

This years big suprise was a volunteer solanum that grew up out of the soil of a small arborvitae I planted this past spring. I'm not sure what variety it was but it put on a better showing than my fish peppers. No suprise, the volunteer tom in the sidewalk crack always wows you, so why not the volunteer mystery solanum too.

T