Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkeater View Post
I'm starting my onion seeds this week and trying a some new ones:

Red Zeppelin
Candy
Redwing
Copra*
Rossa di Milano* - open pollinated. Supposed to store like Copra?
Red Amposta* - open pollinated. Anyone ever grow this one?

I'm also growing leeks for the first time ever:

Tadorna*- from High Mowing Seeds whose farm is located 20 miles from me. It's the only one they sell so it probably is a good one for Vermont. Anyone know this variety?
i never heard of tadorna but that really doesn't mean much!

rossa di milano must be a red onion. it may store a long time but i doubt it'll store as long as copra.

red wing store a long time but copra beats it by a couple of months. if your onions store to the next harvest then you are in good shape. for me red wing are harvested in mid august and store to may, june even july sometimes. copra are harvested around 8/9 and store a full year. one year i had them to mid october tho they were starting to sprout and a little soft but that's 14-15 months but they were still ok to eat.

i'm growing the usual - copra and red wing. i had not so good germination from the red wing so i started some red bull to see how they taste and store compared to red wing which i am totally satisfied with. i couldn't get red wing seeds from pinetree seeds in maine so i bought them from parks seeds and i hope that wasn't a mistake. past experience with parks wasn't stellar so i normally wouldn't buy from them but this was an emergency. pinetree sent me a free pack of red bull when it was apparent they would not have red wing this year, i never saw this happen before. so when i had to start more red onion seed i decided to try the red bull. so this will be interesting cuz i like red wing enough i'd never try anything else.

i don't want huge onions which is one reason i stopped growing alisa craig exhibition but they didn't store long enough and often had doubles that would rot. copra are a good size possibly too big. red wing are a bit larger so i'm curious to see how large the red bull are.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote