View Single Post
Old March 2, 2013   #35
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjg911 View Post
the seaweed emulsion is good but the fish and seaweed is far better as a balanced fertilizer. it's all i use other than compost. this year i'm starting to use a top dressing 1 time of dehydrated chicken manure on alliums and may experiment with it on other things but nh f&sw emulsion is all i've used for many years.

tom
Tom, I think you will like the results from using the chicken as a top dressing. I use it when I can find it. It doesn't take a lot to do a lot. It really perks up tomatoes and peppers and seems to stimulate fruit set later in the season when the heat makes it tougher. I have found it is best to water it in well immediately after applying it for the best results. It is very easy to use with the few container plants I have each year and nothing else seems to give them that mid season boost like the chicken.

Years ago I had knew someone with a large chicken house and I used a whole pickup truck of chicken manure in my garden and actually had the most productive garden I have ever had. I tried to repeat that a couple of years later but didn't have time to unload the chicken before dark so I left it in the truck til morning. It rained heavily after dark. OH! The smell! The neighbors were ready to string me up and I don't blame them. That ended my use of chicken manure in large quantities but I still like to use the bagged stuff for a top dressing.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote