View Single Post
Old February 27, 2013   #82
davidstcldfl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by sio2rocks View Post
I was doing some calculations last night and found that even though it might seem more efficient to buy point source light and reflectors to raise plants (CFLs and worklight reflectors) it actually is less expensive to buy fluorescent light strips and tubes. I figured this out because even though you focus as much as 30% more light on plants than the tubes the area is different and you require more bulbs and fixtures. Plus the price for CFL bulbs of higher lumen output (1000-1600 lumens -still below the 2500-3000 per bulb of cheap tubes) is cost prohibitive if you have to have several more than the tubes. Most of the cost is in the CFLs too so when they burn out they are more costly to replace than a tube fluorescent. I was really thinking about changing some of my setup out for CFLs but after some intense spreadsheet work found it is not worth the effort or money.
In my earlier post, I wrote...GE daylight bulbs. I should of wrote...GE daylight fluorescent tubes.
I agree with you sio2rocks. Thats why I went with tube fluorescents.
The only thought that I did ponder was...the 4 foot lights will 'only' be used to start plants. Since I'm in Fl, that should be at least twice a year.
If I'd gone with CFL bulbs, I could use them in most of my house lighting, as needed.
davidstcldfl is offline   Reply With Quote