View Single Post
Old February 24, 2013   #5
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Looking at this one I think you are going to have two factors taking the shelves out. The first is that you are going to reduce the weight of the structure a lot. If it isn't already I'd make sure it is well anchored.

The second one I see is you are going to reduce the rigidity of the structure. This is particularly so if the wire shelving is fastened to the framework underneath. Will it be enough to matter. I don't know. Since the covering is fairly flexible, wind is going to tend to pull the arches together. I can't find any specs on any of the frame tubing.

If I was doing this I'd, at a minimum, tie the ends into the raised beds and run a piece of something front to back at the height of the higher shelf along the arches. I'd fasten it to each arch. The trouble is you aren't going to find out that you took to much stuff out of the insides until you get a really bad wind and it collapses or the cumulative effect of increased movement shortens it's life. I'd like to see Worth express his opinion here.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote