View Single Post
Old February 23, 2013   #25
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I'm still trying to locate the "likely" original source (initials J O) for S-N-F LA. The seed was labeled as Red Brandywine, but it turned out to be a RL indeterminant plant with pink beefsteaks. It is unlikely that it is a sport or cross, since it has been stable from the first time I trialed it.

I tried to give it a name that had the best chance of being dropped as the name for this tomato. And that, Tania, needs explaining in more than just a couple of lines.

In order to try to identify this tomato, (which has a unique flavor, in my garden, among all of the hundreds of pink beefsteaks I've tried) I had to get as many others to try it and see if the taste is familiar to them, and then work from there. I was trying to come up with a name that says..."With a name like that, I have to try it". I've succeeded with at least a few posters to this thread.

The name is a "hybrid" derived from a heirloom apple (the variety "Westfield Seek-No-Further") and a term (love apple) used for tomatoes ages ago. I combined the two, dropping the Westfield (my hometown) and adding the Love Apple.

A slight thread drift, but Carolyn's dad knew his apples.

I probably shouldn't have used the term "hybrid", because it could get around that someone will remember this tomato as a hybrid, and maybe add that it is a GM cross of a tomato and an apple.

So, no hybrid tomato, no GMO cross, and nothing to do with the varietry Missouri Pink Love Apple (other than the Love Apple part of the name).

If you start seeing any more "new" tomatoes with "Love Apple" in the name (I'm wondering if I've started a trend), they will not be by me.

ne is enough.

So, it's up to others to help and see if anyone knows S-N-F LA's true identity, so the old name (if it has one) can be used.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote