View Single Post
Old February 20, 2013   #3
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Dirt,

Potatoes are graded by size.

Sizes

• Size A: 1-7/8 inch and larger, 40% over 2-1/2 inches or 6 oz.
  • Size B: 1-1/2 inch – 2-1/14 inches, sometimes called new potatoes
  • Baby: 1-1/2 inch and smaller, usually packed in pint baskets or tubs
I am using the above description since it actually says "Baby" and it is a distinction of a potato size smaller than "B" which is the preferred size to plant potatoes. The fact that you don't have to cut the potatoes...labor...and less rot using whole tubers is quite evident to anyone planting potatoes in wet cold soil. One normally does not find "BABY" potato sizes in certified seed potatoes that are bought for replanting purposes. If you are planting from a specially packed retail offering....it is best to use organically grown since they are not treated with sprout inhibitors but then again there is no proof that diseases are minimal.

Cut seed pieces are often planted since only one or two eyes are present and that leads to just one stem or so emerging which helps produce fewer but larger tubers. Whole size tubers, especially if aged a bit will produce many stems and as a result: more and smaller tubers. I tend to want multi-stem hills since smaller tubers are easier to plant again.

Tubers of small size can result in potato stalks of less girth upon emergence but potato tubers can be planted with sizes down to 1/8 of an inch...however those of that size are usually planted by yours truly in 72 cell trays for transplanting later.

Many times I sow TPS in August so that I can harvest tubers in December and have little baby tubers perfect for planting in the Spring. Here is a picture of one "hill" of potatoes grown in a cube of soil not bigger than one inch in diameter. The tubers were from one plant and the tubers are smaller than a frozen pea used for size comparison. The potato shown is a g.g. granddaugter of a Lumper potato variety. Keeping good even in my condo after two months post harvest.
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote