View Single Post
Old February 18, 2013   #10
kwikwater
Tomatovillian™

I use a waterbed heater in my greenhouse and always keep it fully covered with trays. Early in the season this means trays full of extra starter mix that I water just like the tray with baby plants. It also give me a place to put the heat sensor that because my thermostats are old, are the copper tube variety that are obnoxious when putting in with babies.

Having said that, last year for the first time in maybe 20 years, my thermostat ran inconsistently and I cooked my first crop. Soil temp at 112 with room temp at 70, at 9:30 am is trouble!! I knew I hadn't set it up and monitor for enough days before putting seeds out. Just a variable to watch more closely this year.

For years, I started my seeds in my waterbed. I'd start in styrofoam egg carton tops, in bread sacks, in a 10x20 tray w/dome and put them under the covers all day, then slip them in a drawer under the bed at night. I got my quickest sprout rate this way. Never have figured out a good method since I got rid of the waterbed 8 years ago!!!!

KW
kwikwater is offline   Reply With Quote