View Single Post
Old February 13, 2013   #7
Ms. Jitomate
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for your responses. Pots over $1 are not affordable. Restaurant plastic cups are doable for seedlings. In fact I like Hotwired's suggestion on drilling the holes on the restaurant cups. But I still want to go a little larger than 16 oz cups because I want them to look professional and have a healthy root system if they are going to sell them for $4 or $5. Tania, at what point do you transfer to the gallon containers?

The closest I've come to a soilless mix here in California is Sunshine Mix 4 Aggregate Plus which I was able to get for $31 a bale. I still have 2/3 of the bale left over. That's what the 3" containers have right now. I have lots of compost because I did a whole lot these past 6 months, so I like the idea of mixing both of these together, especially since my compost was free.

When you order pots, does the capacity stated mean all the way to the top? When I buy a plant in a gallon container at a nursery they are never filled all the way to the top. I also like Hotwired's method of planting the small plant in its final container and as it grows taller adding more soil. Hotwired, thank you for the calculating the conversion of dry quarts to cubic feet. That sometimes confuses me.
Ms. Jitomate is offline   Reply With Quote