View Single Post
Old January 26, 2013   #37
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilsgarden1958 View Post
I see posts from Vermont to Oregon. How in the world to you get tomatoes on the many heirlooms you are growing? I can't even grow them here in PA.
I once grew a Brandywine and got 0. I grew Omar's Lebanese and got 1 per plant. I grew Silvery Fir Tree , got thousands of blossoms and only 2 tomatoes. So many failures here. Are you using radioactive fertilizer?

CECIL
Hey, Cecil- some years are better than others and varieties can be more or less productive, but I think we're in a pretty prime growing area for tomatoes- very similar to south Jersey. I don't think fertilizer is the key but rather good soil and a bit of an appropriate fertilizer. In fact, too much fertilizer will give you too many leaves and few fruits.

A long time ago when I tried a generic "Brandywine" from a store I got only 2 or 3 tomatoes but a couple years ago I got dozens off pruned plants of the Sudduth's and Cowlick's varieties. Never tried the other two you mentioned.

I'm not sure how many tomatoes you've tried to grow but you'll find all sorts of helpful information here about tomato culture, productive varieties to try, etc. so I hope you're going to keep on trying!

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote