View Single Post
Old January 20, 2013   #8
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the replies. The Ison's website is wonderful but, sadly, I may be on the fringe of hardiness for Muscadines here in NW Indiana. We're close enough to the lake (Michigan) that we enjoy a relatively balmy microclimate--even compared to a few miles inland--but, we still see the occasional "cold"winter, though not as often as in decades past.

Worth - good advice on the extension. I should take better advantage of their services. Our area tends to be an island of sand amid the rich surrounding land, so "advice" is often skewed towards the needs of the more traditional growing conditions and climate. Our area is considered "unsuitable for agriculture."

I was looking at Stark Bros.--they've been around forever, but I've never ordered from them. Any experience? I'm looking at Flame and Reliance, along with maybe Somerset. Cornell has a good information site that objectively describes most of the "modern" seedless varieties.

I have deer in the area, and while they've never caused problems with tomatoes, peppers and the like, I worry that grapes will be too much to resist. Am I right in this assumption?
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote