Thread: Turnips ??????
View Single Post
Old January 4, 2013   #1
tedln

Default Turnips ??????

I don't like to see my garden beds lying fallow even in the winter. This year, I planted a lot of turnips though I'm not really a turnip fan. As a result, I have some gigantic turnips that I don't know how to best use. In past years, I've tried many recipes, but the turnips always remain tasting like turnips in every recipe I've tried.

I do enjoy turnip greens and could eat them at almost every meal. My greens have been through a few hard freezes and a heavy snow so they don't look so good.

Does anyone have a recipe for turnips that may disguise them and cause them to taste like something other than turnips. I don't have any fresh tomatoes to hide the turnips behind, but I do have a large amount of dehydrated tomatoes which should do a good job of hiding the turnips.

My thoughts are running this way (hide the turnips) because I know in Great Britain they grow a lot of parsnip and use them almost as a substitute for the potatoes we would use in pot roast dishes. I think if you can hide the parsnips behind other flavors, you should be able to hide the turnips.

I also have a pretty good supply of winter grown onions, carrots, and Chinese cabbage that could go into the pot with the turnips and tomatoes

Ted

Last edited by tedln; January 4, 2013 at 01:34 PM.