Thread: Peas!
View Single Post
Old January 1, 2013   #7
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
Now we know that Tedln is a transplanted yankee. If he were a true southerner, he would know the right way to eat cowpeas. You have to fix the snaps with the peas by cooking them together to get the right flavor. Grow some White Whipporwill side by side with some of the asparagus beans. Pick and shell the green mature White whipporwill peas and snap up about half the volume of yardlongs. Cook them together with a large strip of bacon for flavoring.

DarJones
Yep! I was just about to post the very same thing! You beat me to it. Anyone claiming to be a southerner must know how to cook biscuits, cornbread, grits, collards, and shelly's.

Now different regions may have different recipes we fight about. We may even use different regional terminology. "My" Grandma's way of doing it may not be the same as "your" Grandma's way of doing it. But we all grew up on those staples. There are probably some others like lima beans (Butter beans)

BTW My favorite way of eating "shelly's" is sautéed with bacon and fresh mushrooms.

Pick your snaps and shell the ones too big, string the ones still tender. Meanwhile fry up some fatty bacon and crumble it into bits. Without removing the bacon grease, add fresh sliced mushrooms (wild is best) and the beans both green and shelled. Sauté on low "a long time" adding water as needed. Once the snaps are wrinkled and the shelled are creating a brown natural "Rue" (Roux), let the excess water boil off, careful not to let it burn. YUMMY!

PS Dar,
I know it is not a true rue like they make in Cajun land, but the starchiness of the shelled beans (cowpeas) once they start breaking down, combined with the bacon grease does make something very similar and VERY tasty. I am hungry just thinking about it.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote