View Single Post
Old December 25, 2012   #6
Scope
Tomatovillian™

Thank you all.
I use this watering technique during early autumn to early spring in the greenhouse. Under high temp. condition, they will be rotten with bottom rot. Of course using this method causes lesser production. But their leaves and fruits become smaller. So I plant them closer than usual.(about 20cm) Watering during winter is once or twice/day. The timing to watering them is slightly drooping can be seen.

A few years ago, I grew Black Sea Man with this way. Their fruits are fairly sweet and our customers were satisfied. I called and sold them as 'Black fruits tomato'.

About blue tomatoes, I growing Shadow Boxing,Chocolate Blues,Blue Bayou(bred by Tom Wagner) , Blue Phoenix(my cross of (Shadow Boxing x chocolate colored Searching for Blue Zebra) and OSU blue. This summer I segregated 4 types of Shadow Boxing. Now I'm growing 3 types from these. One of them has dwarf vine. I want to find out good flavored one.
Oh,I remember that I used limited watering method to 'Indigo Rose' in early spring. But I can't have good result. They almost haven't got sweet taste. 'Indigo Rose' has very good production and beauty. But they don't have any sweet gene, I think.

Thank you Doug9345!
Here in Japan, some cracked tomatoes are not accepted by our customers. I am taking care about this. And I need to breed out green/yellow/orange tasty lines with crack resistant.
But I like Green Zebra for years,and they are our customers(included restaurant chefs) favorite. Other favorites are Black Sea Man,Evergreen,Green doctors and KBX. They almost go to our table, not customers. The reason is above. But Green Doctors didn't cause cracks this summer. I'll grow them for my farm stand next spring. Do you know crack resistant/tasty varieties in another color?

I haven't grow determinate varieties until Tom Wagner's 'Chocolate Blues'. Most of Japanese farmers don't know determinate tomatoes, I think. And almost seed companies in Japan haven't listed them. In my opinion, we have so limited field. We need to use our space efficiently. So we choose indeterminate varieties.
Recently we have problem caused by white flies in summer.(TYLCV) To solve this,I'll try to plant determinate varieties which have resistance to TYLCV. Determinate tomatoes can harvest in short period.It's ideal for me to lower the risk of this disease.
For early crops, I choose cherry tomato or medium sized cherry line. Most of them are early and sweet. And their pollens are enough in lower temp. condition when Large tomato can't set fruits. But it is around 50°F. Lower temp. than this, I have no idea.
My favorite red cherry is 'Lovely Sakura'(Mikadokyowa seed) and medium sized is 'Frutica' (Takii).

Last edited by Scope; December 25, 2012 at 06:14 AM.
Scope is offline   Reply With Quote