View Single Post
Old December 13, 2012   #18
greentiger87
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvpc View Post
You can also think about a late summer start with new plants, or cloning your spring/summer plants. My son in San Antonio did a fall growout and just 2 weeks ago I picked some fruit from his plants. Granted, this fall/winter is a very warm one.
I think the fall growing season is so much better. You have to nurse the seedlings a little in late July/August but then you pretty much just sit back and watch them grow. Spidermites go away as the night temps cool, and if you need to spray things (insecticidal soap) you don't have to be scared of burning your plants.

I'll be picking tomatoes this Christmas.. they may be less than wonderful in taste because of the cold snaps we've had.. but still, fresh tomatoes!

Celebrity is a trooper, but I think Marglobe (supposedly an heirloom) tastes better and is just as reliable. Merced was my favorite hybrid tomato from when I was younger, but it's impossible to find now. BHN 444 does fine, but the taste is so bland that I'd rather plant Celebrity.

The heatsetters hardly heat set and taste even worse than the standard hybrids.. just not worth it.

JD's Special C-Tex is great, as is Jet Star.

Also, if you're up for putting up 30% shadecloth at the end of May, it will extend your harvest significantly. If you're not growing too many plants, it's worth it.

Last edited by greentiger87; December 13, 2012 at 11:53 AM.
greentiger87 is offline   Reply With Quote