View Single Post
Old December 5, 2012   #35
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelady View Post
Good thread! I used to have a friend who had a biology degree in food safety something or other. She told me if you knew how commercial jams and jellies were made you'd never eat them. She said the high amounts of sugar were the reason they didn't go bad.

I was going to make sauce and can it tomorrow, but maybe I'll just stick to puree for now
I've completely stopped buying chicken. After reading that 90% grew out at least one of the big food-borne illnesses and 50% grew out e.coli and salmonella, both! Ew!
I don't even feed my dogs chicken from the groceries anymore. I get it from a COOP that gets it straight from the butcher so that it hasn't sat days and days turning into an agar plate.
For us, I grow our own, organic chicken and butcher it myself. I even have a great automatic plucker!
I need to make an order of chicks soon. Not the awful white Cornish hybrids. I'm done with them. I'll do red broilers which are much hardier but still nice and meaty or give and old heirloom breed like Dorkings a try.
When we move, I plan to grow all our meat, which I used to do, until I was forced to live in this godforsaken concrete desert.
12 months and counting down!
I even plan to grow the dogs meat, ( beef, pigeons, chicken, pig, waterfowl, maybe quail) and hopefully supplementing with wild game scraps from a butcher. Around here, there aren't any hunters so no wild game meat processors.

Last edited by Tracydr; December 5, 2012 at 11:04 PM.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote