View Single Post
Old October 30, 2012   #16
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinaRussian View Post
I don't know if mine is Black Pepper, but it's similar. This was supposed to be Cherniy Ispolin, a black beefsteak, but this is what I got. I named it Snickers, because the members at my forum said that it's not Black Pepper. Iva, what do you think, since you've grown the BP.....
First, I'm curious as to the members of your Forum who say what you have isn't Black Pepper. Where would they have gotten the seeds for it? As far as Iknow it was offered briefly only at Baker Creek and I bet Iva got it from there or from someone who got it from there. And Willly who posted here also got it from Baker Creek.

Marina, if you look at the first post in the thread you'll see that BP possibly originated in Italy, but was known only in the US so I have a problem seeing BP with a Russian name. I checked Tania's data base and she doesn't list the one you refer to, but I don't see that as a problem either.

I'll be sending you some links to several e-mails between Shoe, who does seed production for me, Tania, and myself.

And now using Pink Flamingo and Pood as examples, Tania was able to find I think three different vendors in Russia offering Pink Flamingo and the pictures on the seed packs were all different, for the same variety as to shape, etc.

Shoe sent pictures of what he got for Pink Flamingo, for instance, and we were able to match it up to one of the seed sources and it wasn't a pink heart, as you described it when you sent me the seeds.

It turned out to be a medium large long plum type with a prominent knob at the blossom end. I think it looks red in the photo but will confirm that with Shoe, it could be pink b'c one can't always determine color from pictures.

Pood was another one from Russia that gave me problems b'c it too didn't give what it was supposed to be. And we finally solved that one as well.

Tania suggests that there are significant problems with some seed vendors from Russia and the Ukraine who for the same variety are packing up seeds that are different as we saw with both Pink Flamingo and Pood.

So it doesn't surprise me at all that you expected a black beefsteak and didn't get a black beefsteak.

Maybe if you do some searching for the Cherniy one that you too will find different vendors selling the same variety, but with different seeds inside and you can match up what you got with an already known source that has the black beefsteak one. As Tania said in our e-mails, there are some seed vendors she trusts much more than others.

Hope that helps.