View Single Post
Old October 5, 2006   #10
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

My last frost is usually between April 1 and April 15. I have always planted in March but I'm going to try Feb. this time. I'm just going by that Mid Atlantic growing chart in the Southern Exposure catalog. It says as early as Feb. 15 for my area so I may as well try it. If they don't come up, I'll just do it again in March, I think.

I don't actually "fix" my soil so much as I just get in there and yank everything out. I add a two inch layer of compost before I plant something else and my beans go in the same spot when the peas are done, so same family.

I get about eight hours of sun in this location.

I've tried growing in the fall and have not had much luck. I just stick to spring now, and peas really do seem like a springtime food to me. The cabbage family seems like fall to me, so that's what I grow this time of year. Where you live you might have an easier time growing in the fall though.

In addition to that layer of compost, I use a legume inoculant with both peas and beans. When they begin to flower, I'll usually give them a drink of this stuff called Age Old Bloom. Since they're not in the garden that long, I only give this to them once.