View Single Post
Old October 25, 2012   #184
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayR View Post
Yes, the O'Reilly's parts are correct for Ultrasorb
You can also use Optisorb if you can find it which is the same DE in a coarser grade. Also the Blue Ribbon DE car litter is exactly the same as Optisorb. The larger bags are usually more economical.

The coarser grade DE isn't harmful to anything including insects. Only when DE is finely powdered and dry does it have those sharp razor edges that are harmful to soft bodied insects.
I thought your point about the "coarse sand" grade of the Ultrasorb being easier to handle than the larger particles of the Optisorb made sense.

Concerning earthworms, etc. . . . what I was thinking of was the cumulative effect over time of putting it into the garden. Any texture would have bits of various sizes, plus over time in a garden I suspect the larger particles would break down. In fact . . . doesn't the manufacturing begin with grinding what they mine to a fine powder, then manufacturing particles of different sizes?

Even if there was a modest accumulation in the garden that wouldn't necessarily be bad -- I'm sure that somewhere, when researching the food grade DE, I saw reports that areas where DE is a naturally occurring part of the soil have less problems with some "pest" bug critters. But I'd hate to have my earthworms trying to scratch itchy skin -- hard to do if you're an earthworm. [g]
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote