View Single Post
Old October 16, 2012   #9
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by salix View Post
Welcome to the dark side, and the red side, and the pink side, and the green-when-ripe side...
Good one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tania View Post
Welcome to the world of tomato addicts... hmmm... sorry... tomato lovers!

I also started with only 3 varieties at the beginning of this century, and I now have 2700+ tomato varieties in my seed collection. No attempts to get it under control were successful.

I hope you already came across Tatiana's TOMATObase. If not, then perhaps you'll find it useful in your search for some great tomato varieties!

Tatiana
Tatiana, I'm shocked that you only grew 3 varieties at the turn of the century! I feel like an old addict now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
I can help you expand that garden. Start saving newspapers. Find a source of old spoiled hay.

Don't worry about plowing tilling shovelling cultivating hoeing or raking. Just in the spring Mow the lawn short lay out the papers up to 6 layers think and cover with old hay mulch. You are done for the year in all ground prep and weeding tasks. When your tomatoes are ready to transplant just pull the mulch away from a small area and poke a hole through the paper with a bulb planter or hand trowel. Transplant and pull the hay back around the base of the tomato plant. You are done.
This a great way to make a new garden. It is sooo much easier than the way I used to do it and it works great. I do it a little different by adding compost when I put down the newspaper.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote