View Single Post
Old October 12, 2012   #15
greentiger87
Tomatovillian™

Interesting. I definitely didn't get the same results with Actinovate. It seems to work splendidly for soil borne diseases, but for foliar disease on tomatoes, it just delays it. It's not sufficient unless I alternate it with daconil/mancozeb to act as a protectant. It may just be different disease pressure down here.

I'm really interested in using copper octanoate with actinovate, probably alternating rather than mixed together. Maybe the combination kills existing spores and then recolonizes with S. lydicus before new ones can arrive.

Btw, on whatever version of bacterial spot I have on my peppers, Actinovate was entirely useless, and so was copper octanoate. Assuming the pathogen I have is a Xanthomonas species, the failure of Actinovate and copper compounds is corroborated by controlled trials. They devastated my sweet pepper crop.. I only got a handful of peppers from a variety that appeared to be somewhat resistant... but I didn't keep track of the names (major fail, I know).

One interesting possibility I've come across is using regular old Xanthan gum, which happens to made from the cell wall polysaccharides of Xanthomonas campestris, to "prime" pepper plants for resistance.

But I do hope Actinovate keeps working for you! Many people I trust to not be shills regard it as a miracle product.

Last edited by greentiger87; October 12, 2012 at 12:15 PM.
greentiger87 is offline   Reply With Quote