View Single Post
Old September 30, 2012   #1
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Default My back patio flooded in the rain

I thought the water would come in the house when I opened the back door. We went to Lowe's and bought a pump to get the water moving off of the patio and my husband dug a couple of trenches.

This house is a rent house we are looking to purchase and this rain we just got here in the coastal bend flooded the patio. The owner's never added rain gutters and they built a patio cover(open) with lattice on the top of it. When they built this thing they attached the 2" x 8" support beams to the house and did not leave any ability to attach rain gutters.

Then someone built this flat area which measures 20' x 20' that I was planning on using for my container garden. We believe this may have been a pool platform because it is built up and raised above the normal level of the yard and is right up next to the patio and concrete which stops the rain from moving along to the front of the house and out to the street.

The yard slopes which in the best of all worlds would drain the water properly. Now that we had this rain we can see there is a real problem with water runoff. Now we have to figure out how to fix this problem or we are in for a very long winter.

See the pics, the water was less than an inch from my door threshold when the rain stopped. All of my containers were water logged and even my deck boxes had water in them because it seeped in through the bottom. Those only snap together and I can see now that they are not water proof from below.

The first pics are of the 20' X 20' flat area we began prepping for my container garden.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote