Thread: Fall beans
View Single Post
Old August 28, 2012   #11
riceke
Tomatovillian™

Default Bean Plantings

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I haven't had so much trouble with things eating the seeds as getting a very uneven stand and having to waste so many seed only to have them decimated by the insects that are still around in large numbers in early fall. I am hoping I can keep them safe in the greenhouse till the weather starts cooling down and the bugs let up a bit.

I was shocked today when I went in the greenhouse and saw the soil starting to bump up already in some of the cups. I may have some come up in the next day or two. That is really fast compared to outside in the garden where many seed seem to rot before coming up. If I get a good stand this way then I will definitely try to plant them this way in the spring and maybe avoid those late frosts that are so devastating to beans.
Well, my little experiment of planting beans in cell packs for fall planting failed. I had planted 24 cells w/ 2beans per pack. I got one sprout. Seems like they rotted in the cells. Didn't use seedling mix just M-gro. I guess I got over excited about watering them. That with the humid heat was the killer.