View Single Post
Old August 25, 2012   #3
moon1234
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keger View Post
Might want to check with a local greenhouse, commercial type, for tips. I have one here I work with a lot. They start theirs as plugs, in trays of 288. I think patience is the deal with some good light. They keep them as plugs 4 weeks, then into 4" pots for 4 weeks. At 8 weeks, ready to sell. They dont water unless there is food in the water. Their system is set up like that. I water my new stuff with Miracle grow and it blows up pretty good, as there are 0 nutrients in seed starter mix. I use plain water at planting and a spray bottle until the stems are a little thick and fuzzy, then the Grow solution.
I grew 10 to 12, 72 cell plug trays worth this year of tomatoes and 6-72 cell peppers. It is NOT true that growing medium does not have fert. MOST good ones will have a starter charge that is designed to get seedlings to the first true leaves. You should NOT use miracle grow for young seedlings. MOST fert sold in home stores will have most of the nitrogen in an ammonia based form. This will cause stretch in your seedlings.

It is best to feed with Calcium Nitrate ONLY until they have four true leaves. You can THEN use a weak complete fertilizer (10-10-10, etc.) once a week and alternate with calcium nitrate. The key is to produce short, stocky plants. You do not want tall lush plants for transplanting.

I grow from seed to transplant in the 72 cell trays. They work great.

Peppers are a little harder as the seed needs to stay warm for at LEAST 2-3 weeks until you have good emergence. This means you need a germination chamber or bottom heat to keep the SOIL at a constant 80-85 degrees until you have full emergence. Once you have good emergence then grow on the same as tomatoes. Peppers need 10-12 weeks for good transplant size or you will not get peppers until late in the season in the north.

Choose growing mix such as Fafard, Pro-Mix or similar. I use Fafard GM-1 and mix rice hulls in to replace the perlite and vermiculite. Most growers I know start early tomatoes in 72 cell plug trays and later season toms in 128. We transplant with either water wheel transplanters or a normal holland style transplanter.

Gowing in 4" pots is more for retail consumers who think bigger plants are better.
moon1234 is offline   Reply With Quote