Thread: Dehydrating
View Single Post
Old August 13, 2012   #127
Elizabeth
Tomatovillian™

Peppers: 120 degrees - 12-18 hrs for halves, 8-12 hrs for slices and pieces

Carrots: 1/8" slices or small chopped - 12-18 hrs at 120 degrees

Tomatoes: 1/8" slices or 1/4" cubes - 120 degrees 8-10 hrs, then turn slices and dry for another 6-8 hrs to brittle stage.

Herbs: Depends. Most of them dry at 110 degrees somewhere between 4 and 12 hours, depending on type. You may want to do them separate from different herbs and veg as they can flavor other stuff in the dehydrator.

Mine has flexible grid sheets that I place on the trays - it really helps with the smaller bits and anything that tends to stick like tomatoes or fruits.

My fave book is Making and Using Dried Foods by Phyllis Hobson. If I had bought that one first I never would have needed another. Sadly it was the 4th dehydrator book I bought. It's the only one that says how to dry beet greens (most books say to toss them as they have no value dried!) and has instructions on drying parsnips and rutabaga - those are tough ones to find in most dehydrator books, but needed for those of us in warm climes without root cellars.

If I'm going to water and care for a plant it had better give me food, flowers or shade.
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote