View Single Post
Old August 8, 2012   #8
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastback81 View Post
Have you had an Early Blight or just the mold?

I started using Fung-Onil as soon as I saw EB (defoliated, put plastic down in the beds, I always remove sucker shoots) and it seems to have worked really well.

I'm not sure how I feel about the chemical composition though. I got some oxidate and may just start rotating it with the Fung-Onil but I need to do some more research first.

Ron,
My plants have been "clean and green" until this weekend.
On Sunday started seeing some EB or Septoria on one of my plants in addition to the mold.
My neighbor has had EB/Septoria from day 1 this summer, so I really think the alternating Serenade and Actinovate worked. I took over spraying my neighbors plants on the same rotation as mine and it held everything off enough for him to get harvest. Considering his proximity and the fact that I interacted with his plants and took no preventative steps in between, (hand washing or cleaning) would seem to further confirm the effectiveness, in my own mind anyway...

If you have the Oxidate you may as well use it. What did you pay for it?

When I was researching -

Oxidate - $150 for 2.5 gal
Hydrogen Dioxide:..............................27%
OTHER INGREDIENTS:........................73%

Hydrogen Dioxide and Peroxide are one and the same.
Other ingredients? What the heck is that? Tried to find out - cannot.
Probably water and a surfactant.

I picked up a 16oz bottle of 35% food grade H2O2 at the health food store for $17. (Haven't used it yet)
Food grade means no stabilizers. Which also means it will break down quicker than it already does which is apparently rather fast.
At a mix rate of a 1 oz per gallon, that's 16 gallons of spray with roughly the same percentage as Oxidate. .27% (unless my conversion math is way off and it could be)
Add some molasses as a natural surfactant and I think you probably have a superior product for a fraction of the cost.

FYI - I don't think I would use the drug store 3% HP as it is not food grade and I am not sure what else is in it.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote