View Single Post
Old August 2, 2012   #6
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Yes. I can pick a pint of cherries or a couple of slicers in seconds, but it would be a long time to pick a pint of currants. Plus the ones I'm growing this year are big spreading plants that I doubt produce anything close to the total weight of most of the larger varieties, so you've got more growing space allocated to lower production plants.

It was almost comical, the blue tomato varieties I brought were 'interesting' but didn't make them go gaga, Blush and Maglia Rosa were well liked as were some of the striped and fuzzy 2-4oz varieties. But I think the staff ate all of the currant tomatoes while I was talking and every kitchen station had an idea where they could use them and wanted to know how many I could provide, if they were available in different colors, etc. All I could think of while we were talking was the plants I'd cut down the day before because I was tired of picking the little things, I'd just left two for my daughter.

Other than selling some of my superhot peppers as a way to recoup some of my expenses I don't normally sell produce; I can a lot of sauce and salsa which we use and I give extra away. But since my main business is in the restaurant field (I design specialty software for the industry) I decided I'd try exploring the local market for something that my kids could do as a way to learn something about running a business.

I took her along saying we weren't going to charge anything for her basket of tomatoes, they were a sample and we were going to find out what they liked that we could sell. (They did give her some desserts to go, I love the staff there.) She got that and we talked about expenses for starting the seeds, soil amendments and other consumables, time taking care of the plants and picking the tomatoes, packaging for delivery so she understood that it wasn't a pure profit thing; there are production costs. On the way home we talked about how this was a way to figure out something that the market wanted and that we'd have to figure out how much we could charge to make it worthwhile. If it was something they were willing to pay enough for we would plant more of that kind next year. My best guess is that we'd probably have to charge $8-9 a pint to make it worth the time to harvest (and that's figuring on child labor), which made her eyes get big and she wanted to plant a couple of dozen currant tomato plants next year...

Last edited by Boutique Tomatoes; August 2, 2012 at 12:42 PM.
Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote