View Single Post
Old August 1, 2012   #10
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterwort View Post
I don't have enough space to grow any controls, but I wonder if a better ratio of foliage to fruit might account for at least part of any differences. I can't spray so I'm grafting my plants for increased vigor to fight foliage diseases and except for varieties that really struggle with early blight, the foliage on my Maxifort grafts is almost extreme in its coverage. Someone in thread a few years back proposed that indeterminates tended to taste better than determinates due to improved foliage to fruit ratio. I just wonder if that might be a factor here. (And then there's always the ability of that rootstock to mine every bit of goodness out of the soil.) Anecdotal, of course.
Good point, but please read my post after yours since yours wasn't there when I started my post.

THe four most common foliage diseases are Early Blight( A. solani), Septoria Leaf Spot, both fungal, and then Bacterial Speck and Spot. I wasn't aware that any of the rootstocks had genes involved with tolerence to those foliage diseases, so you have to bring me up to date on which one (s) they/ those are.