View Single Post
Old August 1, 2012   #1
camochef
Tomatovillian™

Default Going out on a limb here!

I've been growing tomatoes for over 50 some odd years now. Some years between 400-600 plants per year. Have been reducing those numbers the past few years. This year I got it down to 23 tomato plants!!!
Twenty-one of my favorites and a couple experiments.

Well I just finished eating the best tasting tomato I've ever tasted...I know, this is a bold statement, but this plant has been unreal since it went into the ground and it's now producing something special.

Last year my best tasting tomato was Purple Dog Creek, other years have seen Amazon Chocolate, Dana's Dusky Rose, Cowlick Brandywine and Brandywine Glicks as tops in taste. Also crosses like Liz Birt and Bear Creek as well as Dora.

Earlier this season Liz Birt was winning till I ate my first Brandywine-Sudduth's. Then the other day I had my first Purple Dog creek and was pleased to see it still had that Great "adult" taste. Almost like a fine wine. I felt for sure it was going to maintain its title...wrong!

Today I ate an 8 5/8 oz. Dana's Dusky Rose which is about average size for them. A really tasty medium sized tomato. I followed it with a 14 1/2 oz. Dana's Dusky Rose -G...that had been grafted onto rootstock from Johnny's.
This is not your average sized DDR. It's almost twice the average size. The tomato is not quite as dark colored as the original DDR's from seed that I've been growing for the past few years. It's very meaty, yet still quite juicy. It's the taste that really made it shine! My mind may not be as sharp as it was in the past, nor my tastebuds as sensitive, but this is without a doubt, the best tasting tomato I've ever eaten.
The plant itself has surpassed everything in the garden, and it's loaded with huge still green tomatoes.
This is my first grafted tomato and its impressed me in everyway possible now. Wish I knew more about grafted tomatoes. I saved some seeds from it but don't know what they'll produce. If anything at all.
Enjoy!
Camo
camochef is offline   Reply With Quote