View Single Post
Old July 29, 2012   #25
J-Wright
Tomatovillian™

There is archaeological evidence on the Gulf coast of FL that there was trade going on among the native peoples of FL and those of Meso-America prior to the arrival of the Spanish. Just exactly what the trade route was is unclear.

The exploration of Florida and the establishment of missions was directed from Cuba, as Florida was part of the Governorship of Cuba. Cuba, as well as Puerto Rico and Panama, were very valuable assets of the Spanish crown, as evidenced today by the fortresses guarding the harbors of the major cities. So too was St. Augustine with Castillo de San Marco and a guard tower standing at the Matanzas Inlet south of St. Augustine. The famous expeditions of Ponce de Leon and Hernando de Soto both originated in Cuba. Many Catholic missions were established in the interior of Florida, the hub of activity being St. Augustine.

Back to tomatoes, it is unlikely that the currant tomatoes that escaped in Florida came directly from Mexico. They many have come indirectly from a ship that stopped in Cuba before setting out to cross the wide Atlantic and were then brought to Florida.

However, the romantic notion that Spanish missionaries spread the plant around the Gulf crescent is unlikely. The historical record does not show any Spanish missions in Florida that have Mexican origins. Cuban via St Augustine? Plenty. A major tributary of the Suwanee River is named after the Spanish mission established near its banks: Santa Fe. In summary, the Spanish settlement of Florida west to near the mouth of the Mississippi originated from Cuba. I categorically reject the notion of a Fr. Juanito tomate pepita plodding the thousand miles around the Gulf crescent planting indigenous tomatoes. I feel certain that the native peoples would have already adopted any viable food source, let alone one that was tasty.

I will decline to conjecture how the Spaniards would have gotten past the French in Louisiana.

Although a trivial matter, it would be fascinating to trace the genes of the various "wild tomatoes" of the Americas and learn its origin and its travels.
J-Wright is offline   Reply With Quote