View Single Post
Old July 23, 2012   #23
ElectraJim
Tomatovillian™

Deter deer? Yeah, just like bugs...first ask them nicely to leave.

+2 on the electric fence..Go big or go home on the unit I think. I went to a farm and fleet style store to get a "setup". I use a nylon string that has a small stainless conductor woven into it. I use a few metal posts, insulators, and "temporary fencing" plastic fence support posts. I set it up and easily break it down at the end of the season.
The surplus nylon string with the stainless wire in it works great for a Florida weave to hold plants up too. (UN energized..duh!) I'm glad I got a BIG roll.
I have read the same thing about the peanut butter on strips on the fence, but it isn't necessary.. This year, I haven't even energized it....yet..
I don't even have a gate. I just arrange a narrow channel of fence at one end, and walk through it to harvest or mess with the plants.
Sure, this is getting expensive, but you'll feel the pain when your first red tomato is stolen by a deer...and they won't stop at just one!!

I tried "deer repelling spray" once...I thought it smelled SO BAD, I didn't even want to go into the garden.. I can't imagine if any got on anything that I would want to eat..Never ever again!!!

ElectraJim

PS, think it got hot and dry here? Check out the brown lawn!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fence.JPG (435.2 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by ElectraJim; July 23, 2012 at 03:50 PM.
ElectraJim is offline   Reply With Quote