Thread: Mighty Matos
View Single Post
Old July 23, 2012   #13
Mlm1
Tomatovillian™

Harvey, thanks for all the great information and picture. Steve has mentioned you in glowing terms and I may find my way to your fruit stand later this summer. I am currently swamped with fruit picking/processing but when the rush is over I will try to post more pictures of my grafts. I will also look into Celebrity for rootstock since I had not considered it. I have been very happy with Maxifort. I find that the difference in the grafted and ungrafted becomes more noticeable with the longer season. My grafted plants start out smaller due to the grafting and in the last few weeks have started to overtake the ungrafted. From now until the end of the season the difference will widen with the grafted being far larger and more productive by September. My family in Montana doesn't seem to have a long enough season to to see the difference although my Father is comparing a grafted Early Girl to an ungrafted Early Girl so that will be interesting to see if there is any difference. My own thinking is that the hybrids are so vigorous on their own root that the difference won't be dramatic but still fun to compare. That really is one huge plant you have and covered with blossoms .

Also I have trailed about 90 new varieties this year and there are a few I think would make great market tomatoes. Off hand the one I highly recommend if you haven't grown it already is Blush. Again, when I have more time I will try to post information on some of this years varieties.

Hope the rest of your season continues to go well.

Marla
Mlm1 is offline   Reply With Quote